CELTA - Cambridge English Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages
The Cambridge English CELTA certificate is the most widely known TEFL qualification in the world.
- This course provides speakers of English with initial training in teaching English as a foreign language (TEFL,EFL,TESOL and ELT,) and leads to the internationally recognized qualification: Cambridge English CELTA (Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults).
- It is an introductory course for candidates who have little or no previous English language teaching experience or for candidates with some experience who are looking for an international qualification.
- The courses are validated, and the syllabus and assessment criteria set by the University of Cambridge ESOL Examinations (ESOL – English for Speakers of Other Languages).
- The intensive CELTA course takes place over 4 weeks, Monday to Friday, 9.00-5.00 pm. The part-time course lasts 17 weeks (see dates below).
- The minimum number of contact hours is 120, but you should calculate at least another 120 hours outside of the core timetable.
During the course, candidates develop familiarity with the principles of effective teaching and acquire a range of practical skills for teaching English to adult learners.
The course is designed around a preparation, teaching and feedback cycle, and includes:
- daily teaching practice
- observation of experienced teachers in the classroom
- completion of a range of practically focused written assignments
- there are also daily input sessions dealing with current methodology, language analysis and its application in the classroom
Please be aware that the full-time CELTA course is highly intensive. Candidates should not have any outside work or study commitments during the course.
Click here for course programme & assessment details
Full-time Intensive CELTA
- Monday 5th January to Friday 30th January
- Monday 2nd February to Friday 27th February
- Monday 2nd March to Tuesday 31st March
- Monday 4th May to Friday 29th May
- Monday 1st June to Friday 26th June
- Monday 6th July to Friday 31st July
- Monday 3rd August to Friday 28th August
- Monday 31st August to Friday 25th September
- Monday 28th September to Friday 23rd October
- Monday 26th October to Friday 20th November
- Tuesday 24th November to Tuesday 22nd December
4 weeks, Monday to Friday, 9.00-5.00 pm
The part-time CELTA lasts 17 weeks. Candidates are required to attend the input sessions on Friday evenings and the teaching practice sessions on Saturday mornings, during the 17 week period of the course.
- Friday 27th February to Saturday 18th July 2015
- Friday 7th August to Saturday 19th December 2015
Fridays 18:00 – 21:00 Input sessions / Saturdays 09:30 – 13.30 Teaching practice
US$1260 plus Cambridge Registation Fee US$190
- Full use of the schools facilities, including free access to the photocopier and computers (with internet connection)
- WiFi connection
- Refreshments (tea, coffee, biscuits)
HOW TO PAY
Full details of how to pay will be provided once you have been accepted on to a course. However, you should be aware of the following information:
- to reserve your place on the course you will need to make a deposit
- full fees must be paid (four weeks)before the course starts.
- candidates who pay in full six weeks before the start of the course receive an ‘early bird’ discount of 10%.
Payment may be made locally by cheque from an Argentine account, bank deposit or transfer; or by international wire transfer.
HOW TO APPLY
Firstly, to be considered you need to meet the following requirements:
- Applicants should be aged 20 or over
- Applicants must have an awareness of language and a competence in English, both written and spoken, that enables them to undertake the course and prepare for teaching a range of classes - ideally at C2 or C1 level on the Common European Framework.
- Applicants must have a standard of education which would allow entrance to higher education in their own country.
- Applicants must have the potential to develop the necessary skills to become effective teachers and to complete successfully the written assignments and the assessment of teaching practice
- Click here for more information if you are a non-native speaker
Secondly, you need to complete the application form and email, to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We will process your application within 24-48 hours and if your initial application is successful then you will be invited for interview. In some cases we may request additional information before your application can be considered further. Overseas applicants will either be interviewed by phone or Skype.
- Successful candidates will receive a formal acceptance letter within 48 hours, together with details for payment.
- Once you have paid the deposit we will send you the Pre-Course Task, the aim of which is to introduce you to some of the areas covered on the CELTA and to provide you with the opportunity to prepare for the course. The pre-course task should be completed before the course begins but it is not part of the formal assessment. Answers are provided for you to self-correct.
Click here to download the application form
There is a wealth of accommodation available in Buenos Aires and we can provide prospective candidates with detailed information about various options, including bed & breakfast/hostels; home stays; shared apartments; and flats, many of which have been recommended to us by previous candidates. We will happily forward full information once your application has been received and can arrange home stay accommodation upon request, subject/according to availability.
Because of the intensive nature of the course, we recommend that candidates find accommodation as close to the institute as possible.
If you wish to look for accommodation further away then you should ensure that it has good transport links. In addition, a quiet place to study and work in the evenings and weekends is essential and internet connection is invaluable.
Click here for map & directions